Thread: Broken Spring
View Single Post
Old Feb 26th, 2018, 11:39   #19
ASt85
Premier Member

Re the Sachs springs - I had similar problems when fitting rear springs on a 2005 C70 in April 2017.

On opening the boxed pair of springs bought from Europarts the contents didn't look much like the remains of the broken springs still on the vehicle nor did they match as a pair. In point of fact I could not find two that did match in the store stock they let me check through trying to find two matched in length, coil number, wire diameter or the end cut.

I phoned Sachs UK and later Sachs Germany. It transpired that whilst Sachs make their own brand Sachs or ZF shock absorbers for the UK market, it seems they do not manufacture springs for the UK market - the name of "Sachs" for suspension springs is wholly owned by Eurocarparts who have them manufactured for them by a third party......I wonder where?

So not "fakes" as such since Eurocarparts own the Sachs name to use on their own springs - not what I think of as Sachs as only the name has a historical link to the German manufacturer.......which might explain why quality control is not what one might expect from a German company: I doubt the springs are made in Germany.

Somehow I don't think Eurocarparts would be willing to divulge their source/country of origin.

Sachs only sell their own suspension springs in Germany and France apparently, so if you want the real deal you have to buy from Germany or France. Who knows what you get throughout the rest of Europe?

In the end I bought a matching pair of Lesjöfors from PartForVolvos who physically checked them as a pair before the were sent out.

The forum link for the saga is https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=266319

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto

Last edited by ASt85; Feb 26th, 2018 at 11:42.
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote