View Single Post
Old Aug 11th, 2020, 18:43   #9
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpliddy View Post
thank you all for the input
got a bit of how to do this fix johnny90
there are the 2 wire float sensors on ebay i do have one its old with bared wires taped up but need to put a test on it can it be done with a multimeter and how?
regards jim
Set your multimeter on continuity/diode test Jim (Concorde symbol with a line through i think you described it as) and touch the probes to each other - you should see 0.000 on the display and hear a high pitched buzzer indicating the meter is working and so are the probes.

Now put one probe on each bare wire from the level switch, in the normal upright position of the tank you should get continuity with it empty.
Now turn the tank upside down and retest - you shouldn't get continuity as this simulates the float being lifted by the coolant.

If you can wrap the bare wire ends round your probe tips you can turn the tank upside down and back to the right way up to prove the float is moving and by doing this you should get an on-off-on response from the meter as you turn it from normal to upside down and back again.

As for the wiring of the bulb, others have already started on that so rather than try and add to that which could cause confusion, i'll let them finish it. If they don't, give me a shout and i'll try to pick up where they left off.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote