View Single Post
Old Sep 6th, 2019, 11:53   #5
Dude

Default Update

UPDATE

Well, after a long drawn out battle with Volvo (most of 2019 to date), we came to an arrangement and got the front wings replaced. Won't go into the details, suffice to say we won't be buying a Volvo/from that dealer again. The saga involved an alleged mouse attack. No, seriously. The corrosion will have started on the surface (at the very edge of the wing), so the anti-perforation warranty is of no value, according to one expert (outside of the dealer's).

Which however then posed the question what about the rears - which are a lot harder to replace? As if by magic I then spotted another car (exactly the same age and same colour as it happened) with a lot worse corrosion, including corrosion of the rear wheel arches. We quickly ran our car in to an approved body shop who have just reported that corrosion has indeed started at the rear, though fortunately it's early enough to stop it and stop it progressing - we want to keep the car a fair few years yet. So that's another chunk of money, which I rationalise by the new-car-would-be-more-expensive argument.

So, if you have one of these, or similar, get the wheel arch liners taken off, early, and inspect the edge of the wing lip, and take action as appropriate.

Whilst this is not an unusual problem with even modern cars, I do not expect it from a Volvo. How long has the industry been making cars, for Pete's sake? It's also why I bought an XC70 with full wing-edge protection.

Photos attached, of ours and the other one I saw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Car 1 - 1.JPG (364.2 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg Car 2 - 2.jpg (122.5 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg Car 1 - 3.JPG (374.2 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg Car 1 - 4.jpg (111.1 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg Car 2 - 5.jpg (199.2 KB, 140 views)
Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dude For This Useful Post: