View Single Post
Old Sep 25th, 2019, 16:22   #34
Nic9511

Quote:
Originally Posted by eapowers64 View Post
I finally made it to a Volvo dealer and had the software for addition of the OEM subwoofer loaded. To recap, this is an 04 XC90 that started with High Performance sound where I swapped in junk yard Premium Sound speakers, amp, and Infotainment Control Module (ICM). None of these are actually required for a sub addition but the Premium speakers are much better, the Premium amp has higher output, and the Premium ICM has a better display.

Long story short, the upload was successful and I now have a cranking subwoofer installed above and behind the driver side rear wheel well in the trunk. The car was then promptly delivered to my son who is at university. He was most appreciative.

When I left the dealership the tech told me that the software upload was successful but the sub was not working. He then went through the long litany of why the Volvo system does not usually like adding used electronic parts. As I drove home I had time to think what might have been other explanations. That was when I decided to go through the audio settings on the ICM and saw the new submenu for the subwoofer. One click on the select button and the subwoofer was thumping. The moral was to think for yourself and don't take every tech's statement as the end of the story.

Finding a dealer to actually do this was not as easy as I would have thought. With the first two that I called, it was as if I was speaking a foreign language. They could not get it through their heads that I was swapping Volvo parts for Volvo parts. Moreover, they were not even curious about what I was trying to do. The dealer that I went to was a two hour drive away and was a pleasure to deal with.

What I was not able to accomplish was to get the reloads that would tell the CEM that the car had a Premium audio system and to behave as such. This would have activated the junk yard center speaker and enabled the better sound processing of the Premium system. For these two software pieces, VIDA would not permit the download as it did not like the mix of hardware from other cars. At the end of the day, the sound system is much better than what I started with.
Awesome! But just to confirm, please advise on the below question.

I have a 2007 XC90 with High Performance audio. 3rd row seat. No rear A/C.

Can I upgrade to the Premium amp (P/N: 30732825) and also add the factory subwoofer (with subwoofer update P/N: 6849980)... I understand that since i have a 2007 I wont be able to download the premium software. Hoping I can just add the premium amp and factory subwoofer and that alone will be a big improvement.

If so, do you have a part number for the subwoofer? And will the HP speakers work or MUST I upgrade to all Premium speakers?
Nic9511 is offline   Reply With Quote