View Single Post
Old Mar 3rd, 2020, 13:00   #17
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCC View Post
Hi,

Looking for some advice on my 2015 Volvo XC90 D5 Inscription.

Its a new shape model with 104,000 miles on the clock.

The car was serviced at Volvo Warwick all through its warranty period up to 90,000miles

In late October at 96,000 it had a full service at the local independent volvo garage which included replacing the cam belt and all other belts and filters

On Saturday whilst travelling on the motorway the car entered limp mode and booted me onto the hard shoulder. It was recovered to the local volvo garage who have advised that the cam belt has snapped (£156 for the pleasure of telling me that!)

Ive spoken to the independent garage who replaced the cam belt and they have said to bring it back to them to check over as the parts should be under warranty "as long as nothing else has made the cam belt snap"

Obviously I'm looking into the face of a very expensive repair bill and wanted to arm myself with some info.

What other things could make the cam belt snap other than a faulty belt or poor installation?
The key factor here is did the non approved garage use genuine volvo parts and do they know how to correctly tension the belt?
In any case there can be no goodwill from volvo anymore ... you/or your garage have a potential £10,000 bill there .

The belt should have been changed at 90000* MILES did volvo warwick do it then if the service was after May 2019 ?

* = The cambelt change interval was changed from 144000 miles / 10 years

to 90000 miles / 10 years last May ... so was any service undertaken after that date with the car showing more than 90000 miles ?

In any case the latest garage that did the cambelt is most likely responsible . i would get an independent report done by the volvo garage to determine the exact nature of the failure , Belts dont just break on their own especially new ones .

regarding the water pump why did they change it? A reason is needed apart from making money , , It is not part of the service schedule and again was it a volvo one ?

Last edited by Clan; Mar 3rd, 2020 at 13:09.
Clan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clan For This Useful Post: