Thread: Nav display
View Single Post
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 11:09   #6
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliner View Post
If you look through some brochures, most (all?) cars are going this way now. Analogue dials and buttons, are on the decline, especially in the premium sector. I personally much prefer touch screens and fewer physical buttons, but then I am a tech fan.

I personally think Audi's virtual cockpit is pretty cluttered, but when I test drove the Q7, it wasn't distracting. I don't get the 'TV' comment - you don't stare at it, that would be crazy. Personally, if I do need to look at the map, I'd rather it was large and right in front of me and so I could see a couple of turns ahead if I'm in a town. I wish I'd specced the HUD though...

My main point though was that you have little customisation of the driver display and what little there is, you have to pull over and go through the settings menus to amend. My last 3 cars have had driver information displays between the dials that you can easily change using the stalk to show what you need (nav arrows/map, trip computer, media or simply 'nothing' if that's what you want.

All this is just software on the Sensus and could be easily voice controlled: "driver display large map', 'driver display trip computer', 'display nothing' etc..

It all feels a bit half baked to me. Let see what the next-gen brings in 2021.
Totally agree with the above comments and am also very much into Tech.......
BUT I would still prefer to have say "Two Physical Buttons" that the user can assign a specific option for frequently used tasks that are relevant to them