Thread: General: - E46 Bi-Xenon (budget) retrofit
View Single Post
Old Dec 10th, 2018, 14:41   #48
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post

Not tooo sure the Old S/V40 dipped beams were That good "!" having had one, similar reflector burn out happened needing new reflectors (which means new units) after a Few years of DRL-on, (phase 2 S40 for me) Hid was Possible but iffy in those , thankfully without the need for the skbow thing but care about the wiper motor still needed. But they had headlight Wipers, with motors that loved to seize up,but you could drl-Off/on them from the stalks depending on time of the year. Nightbreakers Really helped in those, as did alignment If that is the adjuster inside the lamp unit didnt snap, which after years of being warmed by drl-on they did.

Headlight wiper motors?
....dude... please...
my previous car:

Replaced 2 of those within 5 years of ownership My OCD wouldnt allow me to drive with 1 not working or (hell no!) wiper in the middle of the light, but I have to confess it was one of the selling point of that 2003 S40 for me. Always wanted those on the car and even by today there was never a better solution of cleaning your headlamps. There was something mesmerizing about light beam being interrupted by something "sprinkling and wiping" in front.... (dream-sequence music....)
However I stand by the statement about superiority of old headlamps in that case. I had the FL model with dual H7's, and it was miles better than pre-FL H4+corrigated glass. The light output from Osram NBs on free form reflectors was incredible and it made transition to my V50 on OEM headlamps a very unpleasant experience. I literally couldnt believe how bad the "newer" car's lamps are compared to its predecessor....

Back on topic though -why do you need to DRL-off ? Without HID's its unecessary unless you want to save your bulbs life, but then - it makes no difference from keeping the stalk on POS2 all the time. Its exactly the same. You will still need to move it to POS1 for angel eyes and you will still need to remember to switch it off, right? Th3e only sense it would make if you wanted to use POS0 with angel eyes on like true DRL, but wiring that require running +12v supply from somewhere (thats something I couldnt figure out, totally). Is that your plan?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A.jpg (4.0 KB, 60 views)