View Single Post
Old May 6th, 2019, 10:27   #73
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

A little over three years ago, 'dcr69' asked a question: "How much fuel left when Reserve light comes on?". I may have missed one, but scanning quickly through the replies, I don't think anyone has actually answered the question posed. Instead, people have talked at length about 'computers' and 'range', which as others have pointed out, is a theoretical figure based on immediate past usage.

I believe that the low fuel warning light is set on most cars to illuminate when a nominal 10 litres of fuel (or less) remain in the tank. On a car returning 30 MPG, that equates to a 'safe' range of a little over 60 miles.

But, again as others have pointed out, why risk damaging or contaminating the fuel system by attempting to squeeze the last few remaining miles out of the tank? I'm with 'Baxlin', 'Dash300' and those others who advocate against the over reliance on computers in cars today.

Drivers of 700 series cars with unreliable fuel gauges are well used to filling up, resetting the trip, driving 250 miles and repeating without ever running out of fuel - I did it myself for years! The belt that went with those braces was a 5 litre can securely strapped in the boot, which I used more to assist others who had run out of fuel than a personal reserve. Mostly I ended up using it in the lawn mower when it became stale, and then replenishing it.

We rely on the computers in our cars at our peril!

Regards, John.