View Single Post
Old Jul 19th, 2020, 09:02   #48
Agro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot13 View Post
Today, I have taken in my V90 as the oil level notification message came up. This is the second time- first time was approximately a year ago, if I remember correctly. I have had the car for 18 months and it was serviced in April.

It seems that the problem has not been sorted out at all. Volvo are doing an oil change under warranty at present but I will be interested to see if they try to get me to pay once out of warranty. They have been very helpful- neither time have I called prior to arriving at the garage and both times they have fitted me in immediately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoraruM View Post
Hi guys
I have bought a volvo s90 18plate from motorpoint just before the lockdown
I have been to Volvo once with the oil raising issue paid to have it fixed .Since i bought the car I drove about 2000 miles mainly 30 miles trips twice a day week days . I drive with the auto stop start off it is annoying to keep it on I live in London. I have a Peugeot van 64 plate and when regenerate process happens I have a light and a message on dashboard DPF cleaning keep vehicle moving.
Can someone advise if this is gone be a permanent issue can it be sorted
Can I do something to watch it .Can Volvo do something?
Can I take legall action?
I have paid 20k for the car .
Thanks
I've had this problem for years with both our cars (2014 XC70 D5 with 42000klms and 2013 V40 D4 5 cyl with 26000 klms). The V40 is the worst of the 2 and I've extracted over 1 litre of oil from it over a 6 month period.

No one can give me a sensible answer. The Volvo dealer told me that it's because "we don't drive the cars enough, the cars do not get a change to allow the DFP to go through the regeneration process so it dumps the soot into the sump". Makes perfect sense doesn't it?

I've had the old oil from both cars tested and they both got a pass. I've given up trying to find out.

The dealer's oil of choice down here is ELF Solaris FE 5W-30 which doesn't meet the required Acea A5/B5 spec.

For a long time I used Penrite Full Synthetic 5W-30 which does meet ACEA A5/B5.

I decided to change to Penrite HRR 5 Diesel 5W-40 Semi Synthetic (higher heat tolerance in warmer environments) and this seems to have reduced the issue but not resolved it. Oils stays cleaner for longer and doesn't grow as much.

I also regularly check the oil levels of both cars; change them every 6 or so months, and ensure the levels stay just below full. To extract any oil I have a syringe attached to a 4mm ID plastic tube (such as used is garden micro irrigation); shove it down the dip stick hole and suck out what I need.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Agro; Jul 19th, 2020 at 10:00.
Agro is offline   Reply With Quote