View Single Post
Old Feb 19th, 2018, 17:17   #21
Semnoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by apersson850 View Post
Simply bring the whole headlamp with you inside the car. That's the whole point of the easy removal of the whole headlight.
In my experience, disconnecting the main electrical plug was much harder than getting the rear cover off the lamp assembly (you'd need more than nail clippers to survive that with no tools).

StuAgain - once you've pulled up the two metal 'strips' to bring the lamp assembly forward, they make a convenient tool to lever off the plastic rear cover.

Pushing the lamp assemblies back into place can be difficult. The trick is to look for the orange location sockets which the 'studs' sticking our of the lamp assembly push into. One of these sockets is near the front of the wing, the other to the side of the radiator. You need to get those lined up, and the lamp will pop in OK.

After a bit of practice, I recently did this while waiting for the ferry doors to open. Having the bonnet open did make other people think my nice D5 wasn't starting, which I didn't appreciate ! One another journey I just drove off the ferry with the lights in the 'wrong' position and waited for the first petrol station to do the switch-over.

On a slightly different topic, one thing I noticed on the ferry was how many cars didn't have lamp deflector stickers fitted, and I know for sure most of those cars wouldn't have had internal beam adjusters (most were 10/15 years old with halogen lamps) - but that's another story...