View Single Post
Old Jul 16th, 2018, 19:41   #317
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Kwas View Post
Army;

Following with interest...

I ran across this excellent video which is quite informative: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAqAqODmcj4

...as you've pointed out, the critical test is contact area under load on the helical gear...it's a pain if you don't get it right, and it howls or sings like a soprano when installed back in the car, and it needs to come out, apart a second time...

Good Hunting!
That video was one of the sources of encouragement for my first dabbles with differentials. If you look in the description of the video he's added the times in the video for specific bits of information as well as a link to a handy little PDF that has colour pictures showing contact patch relationships.

He's a good egg.

(Using information from workshop manuals and his information I've successfully refurbished several series Land Rover differentials {the pre-load on the axial bearings is a doddle for these differentials as they use a serrated nut to apply this load} - I can link to that if you want - I've had less success with Mercedes differentials as their differentials mated to smaller engines have rather weak cases that when stretched to apply the pre-load tend not to retain the load)
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!

Last edited by Army; Jul 16th, 2018 at 19:46.
Army is offline   Reply With Quote