View Single Post
Old Jul 17th, 2018, 20:03   #320
Army
marches on his stomach

Default I'm getting dangerously close to

having a fully stripped body - it is still slow going but like British Rail of old I'm getting there.

The plan at the moment is to go for epoxy (after saying it is probably too boat-like!) after all. I've stumbled across a company called poly service who recommend a "Pantserlak" (sounds impressive doesn't it?!) as an in between coat between the epoxy and automotive paint systems.

It is fairly cheap stuff to buy so I thought I'd give it a go. Lots cheaper than say Novol which is aimed directly at the classic car boys.

Anyway the point is I need to get the bodywork straight and that means I need to have the other body parts stripped and repaired where necessary to start thinking about trial fits.

Today I 'ad a look at the doors =>

Some GIT had decided to put the retaining pins into the door furniture so it was really difficult to remove them - the pins were positioned in the holes in alignment with the handles

Blinking nightmare - the only way I could get the pins out was to destroy the plastic moulding beneath the handles.

(+20 euro cost to the project)

The door seals on the bottom of the doors were holding water and rust in the U channels has formed on both doors

The U channels are available for about 14 to 20 euros a meter depending on where you buy them - But - I got a feeling I might be trying to make my own before ordering (!)

The clamping parts that hole the bottom of the main door glass have seen better days - these will have to be replaced

The passenger side door was originally green =>

So that must have been a "good used" addition to the car at some time or other - it now needs a bit of help.

The driver's side door (LHS on this car) looks like it was a new replacement. The inside is in very good condition (despite the U channels on the outside)

1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote