View Single Post
Old Apr 20th, 2024, 13:00   #7
Offgrid
Offgrid camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Fife View Post
I got my information from a Volvo trained mechanic who now runs his own Volvo business,

Ian F
You were lucky to find someone who knows about car components. Most so-called mechanics these days seem to be either software engineers, or fitters.

I've taken the covers off the two failed relays, and they are very different ( although they are both green ). The one that failed in the traffic jam has got a wire that has become de-soldered, and the insulation has melted slightly at the end. This ties in with the fact that the case became red hot. I'll resolder it, and see if it works, if so, I'll keep it as a spare. I'll have a look at the wiring diagram, and see if I can work out where the heat came from. Since fitting the replacement, the car seems to be a bit friskier, and the starter disconnection hasn't returned. I'll give it another couple of days before forming a conclusion about that issue.

The reversed functionality of the earlier failed relay will require a bit more research. I'll keep you guys posted when I get round to doing that.

The white relay has arrived, and it appears to be identical externally. The connectors and lugs are all in the same locations. I haven't had the courage to try it yet. I might do that on the saloon, but it doesn't have a back box right now, and the neighbours complain if I start it too often.
Save Old Cars
Offgrid is offline   Reply With Quote