View Single Post
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 20:42   #1
MrRobot

Default Volvo V40 D2 1.6 2014 issue with engine cooling system

Ok long story

Had car since it was 6 months old

About 2 years back I started getting coolant low warnings so just topped off as required.

About 4 weeks back I got a engine high temp warning

Took to garage (non dealer) a friend of mone who looks after my cars, He found a leak on the water pump and a small spec of metal in the pump. he found it had been leaking at the pump and replaced the pump and gasket.

Took car home used it a bit and it started doing the same again. But now the heating in the cab was also cold. Also noticed pressure in the coolant system which hadnt been noticed before.

Garage did some checks to see if head was leaking etc and are confident if it is very small as no gasses found or traces in the water.
They found some restirction in the radiator so that was replaced too but still no luck and after using it for 24 hours i had the overheating warning again.

This time they tested it and tested it and replaced the thermostat I got the ar back and have used it for about 80 miles and tonight its given me the overheating warning and seems to have let some pressure go and blown off a bit of water. The thing is the watter in the bottle isnt hot so this is just pressure. Also one thing to note is when they removed one of the pipes that sends water to the stat the system didnt drain off as he expected it would do but it did when he removed other pipes.

We bought a vac to vac out the cooling system as someone at the volvo dealership advised that was what they did on v40s.

I need to point out the car performs as well as ever I havent noticed any loss in power etc.

I also note that tonugh the pipes on the back of the engine wre cod again hence no heat in the cab again. but I did get heat at the start of the journey and then passenger side lost it then driver side. this is probably now air in the system.

I am just after some advice now on where we can head next, We are convinced its not the head and the pressure issue has probably been there a while (hence the leak by the pump was probably letting the pressure go). My Mechanic is now wondering if the EGR cooler maybe faulty so we may get a secondhand one and try that.

Anyone got any ideas or spot something we have missed.
MrRobot is offline   Reply With Quote