Thread: 240 General: - Camshaft seizure
View Single Post
Old May 8th, 2019, 12:21   #26
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
Low oil pressure is fairly rare

a few cases of the seal failing between the pump and the feed pipe but only something you really see on engines that have been tampered with.
I had this on a 1993 Torslanda. The oil pressure was never impressive, and the green light flickered at idling speed. It had obviously been like it from new - the service history showed endless fittings of new pressure sensors right from the first service, but nothing ever cured it.
At about 300,000 miles I did decide to remove the sump and check the oil pump, and found that the sleeve oil seal was not seating properly - it had obviously been poorly pressed over the pipe during original assembly.

I did find the pump end float worn beyond spec, so ground down the face to restore that while I had access.
Together they cured the problem, and the car went on to do 440,000 miles. By then it was burning oil a bit and kept failing the emissions test. If the car had been registed a year earlier it would have passed the earlier test easily and I'd probably still be using it.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post: