View Single Post
Old Sep 8th, 2015, 21:09   #17
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey1512 View Post
Has this thread been bumped from the 1980's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny5isalive View Post
No, I've just started it. I was born in 84. I understand there's a lot of older owners on here but I'm one of the younger bunch. A lot of people still seem to do it.
Born in '84! I was on to my second rust bucket by then and had a few more after that.
Back in the day a lot of cars suffered terribly from the dreaded tinworm, my Mini and Fiesta were both 'undersealed' from new but it merely slowed down the tinworm and both eventually went to the scrapper to gently fall apart. The first car I had with decent rust protection was a 1986 VW Passat, they used to flood all the panels with wax when they built them, since then the motor industry has generally improved with galvanising (nowadays it's possible to put a smooth galvanising coat on panels rather than the old 'hot dip galvanising' which left a rough surface) and there's a lot more things like plastic wheel arch liners to prevent the accumulation of dirt, salt and moisture under the car. My V70 has no additional underseal and even the wife's Nissan Almera had no extra rustproofing and was still in good shape bodywise at 12 years old which would have been miraculous for an early 80's Datsun.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post: