View Single Post
Old Mar 5th, 2017, 21:01   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redxc60 View Post
We have a 2010 XC60 D5 AWD Manual, roughly 70k miles. There is a drone from the rear that starts at 50mph. At first I thought it was a failing wheel bearing but it doesn't get louder with increased speed but does get change slightly with more power.

The local dealer had a look and diagnosed a problem with the rear drive. They have quoted £5k to change the primary and secondary "final drive units". After picking myself off the showroom floor, I thought I'd do some research.

What has really surprised me is that there is barely a mention on the internet of an XC60 AWD rear drive failing. You can usually find about any fault on any car discussed somewhere so clearly this one is not a common fault. There's just one other thread on this forum => http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=221154

Does anyone know anything about how these units fail? Is it reasonable to change both units or is the dealer just doing a blind replacement instead of identifying the cause of the problem?

ps We've not had any warning messages about AWD.
Firstly there are TWO separate units with bearings and their own oil supplies, the rear final drive which most rear wheel drive cars have , then there is the Haldex clutch unit on the front of the final drive which also has a bearing ... Yes they are being very wrong in not diagnosing which is causing the noise , It should be straightforward running it on the lift and listening underneath to the unit .

The bearing in the Haldex is fairly straightforward to change and the final drive can be repaired too . But a dealer will not go that far . parts will be well under £100 ...