View Single Post
Old Mar 6th, 2017, 00:09   #3
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by redxc60 View Post
We have a 2010 XC60 D5 AWD Manual, roughly 70k miles. There is a drone from the rear that starts at 50mph. At first I thought it was a failing wheel bearing but it doesn't get louder with increased speed but does get change slightly with more power.

The local dealer had a look and diagnosed a problem with the rear drive. They have quoted £5k to change the primary and secondary "final drive units". After picking myself off the showroom floor, I thought I'd do some research.

What has really surprised me is that there is barely a mention on the internet of an XC60 AWD rear drive failing. You can usually find discussion about any fault on any car somewhere so clearly this one is not a common fault. There's just one other thread on this forum => http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=221154

Does anyone know anything about how these units fail? Is it reasonable to change both units or is the dealer just doing a blind replacement instead of identifying the cause of the problem?

ps We've not had any warning messages about AWD.
If you get the noise suddenly at around 50 mph and not before it's because that's when the torque converter locks in top gear - do you see the rev counter needle drop a bit as the noise arises and does the noise disappear if you come off throttle? If so could be propshaft joints, bearing etc. Suggest do a search on XC90 forum also - -a few people have had similar issues.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post: