View Single Post
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 15:23   #15
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
Interesting and thank you David. I have bookmarked that.

My red block sump plug specifies a copper washer (gasket as they call it). I find that with a new one done up to the specified torque there is no leak.

Dowty sounds well worth remembering in case of need in any future task. Mind you. My memory is approaching MOT time....

Bookmarking is one thing. Remembering it is bookmarked, and what to search for within my bookmarks, that is crucial....

Also interesting to note that certain Saab models (900i i think) which use the same fuel filter, main pump and lift pump as our Volvos specify Dowty washers aka Dowty Seals for the banjos on the fuel filter.

Really is a case of "either/or" in many cases, however if the specified seal/gasket/washer is an aluminium or copper variety, then go with that unless it leaks in the future. Suffice it to say, DOwty seals/washers are used a lot in the hydraulics industry on banjo bolts and with pressures usually in the region of 2000psi, it's a safe bet they'll seal a fuel filter or PAS union. :thumbs-up:

As for boat/scales/other similar analogies, it's what works for the individual as long as it's clear enough for others to see the working behind it.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote