View Single Post
Old Mar 11th, 2019, 15:25   #10
petey
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydog View Post
I was always told that you can't tow a car with an auto box without disconnecting prop shaft/drive shafts or lifting the driven wheels off the floor,however I found out a few years ago that my Omega auto can be towed either 40mls at up to 50mph or 50mls at up to 40mph[I can't recall which]this also to applies to other makes models of cars but it would pay to make sure on any given make/model before trying this and better still not to tow one in the first place.
The same applies to truck transmissions, indeed any vehicle where the transmission is lubricated by pressure fed oil rather than splash lubrication. Without the oil pump running, there is no formal lubrication, but in the case of the GM box, presumably they believe that there is a sufficient amount of residual oil left in critical corners to maintain lubrication when being towed. Personally, I would NEVER chance it, absolutely not at speed. Tow it enough to get it off the side of the road and leave it at that.

Re Clan, not only was I bored at lunchtime, I was clearly tired as well. You were referring to the car being towed, rather than it towing something else. My bad...
petey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to petey For This Useful Post: