View Single Post
Old Nov 15th, 2017, 17:21   #8
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canis View Post
Yeah, our car has the black bulbous thing, and it is frustrating. I too have had the fluid spill out, exactly as you describe. The only solution I've found is to be aware of it and try to judge the quantity appropriately, and it takes practice, but it's not something you will do very often.

I didn't know about it "following the fluid down", although it sounds plausible. Mine doesn't do this, it simply displaces any fluid in it's way. It's soft enough to squash with finger pressure, but not with fluid during screw-down, it just spills.
As said above, if you're needing to top it up - ever - it's because you have a leak. That needs fixing.

Get a hose pipe on the area, drench the thing in water, and don't be prudent with it. Brake fluid will destroy the paint on the subframe, which it almost certainly where it ended up, and therefore rust. And the steering rack, and it's pipes and bolts, and bodywork. That ain't cheap to fix.
The concept is missed completely.

The fluid is topped up to max and the black diaphragm is manually pushed back into the cap. Cap screwed on the reservoir and all is well with no fluid being spilled. As the pads wear the fluid in the reservoir drops and that in turn pulls the diaphragm down so that it follows the fluid level and excludes air from the top surface of the fluid, minimising moisture contaminating the fluid. When next topping up the fluid or winding back the pistons the black diaphragm needs pushing back in the cap before refitting or else fluid will be spilt.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post: