View Single Post
Old Mar 25th, 2020, 14:39   #27
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashy View Post
Already been down this debate ally before on here, i will say it again though, Snow chains on a 2wd generally go on the drive wheels only, so with that logic, i would much prefer winter tyres on the drive wheels at the least.

And as i said before on here the YT video that demonstrates the winter tyres on just the drive wheels is flawed in the way that, would anyone in the real world seriously take a roundabout or a hairpin bend in the snow at 40 mph, i know i never in a million years would, i have never had the back end step out on me like he managed to.

As for your used condom comparison, thats just crazy talk, no one would ever want to do that let alone daughter etc. where as many thousands use part worn tyres and as ive already stated, i have not had any issues with them since '94.
Well you seem to have done your home work, so I'll leave it at we have differing views, except I totally agree with your comments on narrow, taller tyres being better in snow.

But from an economic point point of view, I've never thought that second hand tyres add up either.

Say a new tyre costs £80 and has 8mm of tread of which 6 is usable (if you discard at 2mm, most would do so at 3mm) - that's £13.30 per 1mm tread.

Hence a used tyre with say 5mm of tread (3 usable) is worth £40 max, if it peforms exactly as a new one... plus your time getting them changed twice as often etc. To make them worthwhile they would really need to be £20 fitted and balanced.

Note also that all part worn tyres needs to be permanently marked "Part Worn" by law at point of sale. If your local seller isn't doing that - they're not compliant and may not be checking them as they should be for damage and integrity.

I did used to say I would rather buy a quality brand of part worn tyre than new cheap chinese budget tyres but now I'm not so sure... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN6JSH1f3rI
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Mar 25th, 2020 at 14:47.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post: