Thread: Geely again
View Single Post
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 10:23   #16
stevo48
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcturus View Post
Why not little green and yellow and all the other colours, women? arghhh!
Seriously it wont be long before we are considered a third world country with no manufacturing base,remember that's what made us a world class country in the first place. Why did we become an industrialised country? because we ate grain instead of rice. Seriously, grain had to be ground, where as rice didn't. this led to the development of water driven mills etc.
I live in Halifax, West Yorks, the town was once known as the centre of the carpet manufacturing industry with crossley carpets being one of the largest employers in the area, it was also known as toffee town and wire town.
Toffee town because we had Rowntree Mackintosh and Rileys, two of the big names in sweet manufacturing, big employers again.
Wire town because we had three large wire manufacturers, Standard Wire, Smith Wires and Carrington binns, all with large workforces.
I worked in the wire industry in halifax for 26 years, its all now sadly gone, the last of them being carringtons who sold out to the Russians who in turn shut the factory down and shipped the machinery out to Russia where the wire can be produced at a fraction of the cost in comparison to what it would cost here in Britain.
Halifax is now known as ghost town with any remaining industry hanging on by the skin of their teeth, its a shame that Volvo has gone to the chinese, in real terms Volvo has gone, never to be the same again, Volvo as we know and love these cars is finished, why they simply didn't re-name the marque i will never know, Volvo is now just a run of the mill car with a prestige badge.
stevo48 is offline   Reply With Quote