View Single Post
Old Jul 17th, 2011, 22:48   #11
Gareth83

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
The extra prongs are not there to increase life.

The idea is that they should give a stronger and broader spark. The effect of the stronger spark can give a small increase in power upto 2% and improved MPG upto 2%.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The idea of multi prong plugs is indeed ONLY long life , basic electronics say the spark will always take the easiest path , it is impossible for the plug to have multi sparks on each prong at the same time unless it is fed with huge amounts of HT energy..
what happens is that the spark takes the path of least resistance which is the prong with the shortest gap , as this wears, the gap gets wider and eventualy the next unused prong is the easiest path and that one starts to get used , and likewise until that wears and the third prong starts to get used etc
, that is how volvo plugs last 72000 miles ..
You may choose your particular plugs that work right with your LPG, however if you use it on petrol often you will find the genuine volvo plugs give the best performance of all . Volvo ignition systems are and always have been very powerful and really should cope with lpg , they always did fine in the 1980s-1990's-2000's what's changed ? .. I guess genuine volvo plugs were not tried first on this problematic engine ..
This was my point they only extend plug life in reality. In theory 3 or 4 prong sounds great but they run no different in any situation.

Quote:
Did you know that there can ONLY be ONE ARC at a time when your spark plug fires????
Sorry, but you will NEVER EVER have two, three or four electrodes fire at once.
It's called " Physics". Take out a plug and lay it on your engine block and see for yourself. Just have a friend crank your engine and see. Go ahead.
Thats why a single electrode is the hottest most efficient source of spark.
The double sand quads only have an advantage if the plug becomes "fouled" on an electrode.
Then one of the others will be able to continue in a best case scenario.
My friend is an engineer for NGK. He's the one who told me all the skinny on this.
All of it is Marketing to sell more expensive plugs to people who are not informed.
Now you are informed.
Don't waste your cash.
I have also read on various forums multiple prongs particularly Bosch have snapped a prong and resulted in sticking valves. I'd rather stick to single prong but gap/change them more often
Gareth83 is offline   Reply With Quote