View Single Post
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 11:43   #15
capt jack
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Harding View Post
Our 340 1.4 with 32DIR carb has been plagued with intermittent poor idle, even stalling on occasions after a long motorway run. But it runs okay on petrol. Following this thread, I checked the plugs, hoping to find that they were multi-point. Finding they were single path simple beasties, that moment of hope died...

BUT THEN

whilst in the area I checked the distributor. Found that the rotor and receptor contacts had blossomed and corroded. Cleaned them off and hey! Perfect idle again.

So my method of comparing running on petrol and gas falls down here. Just because it runs on petrol, doesn't mean all is well. I see from the above contributions that gas needs a fatter spark. At crusing speeds this will be no problem, but at idle, any compromise in the spark intensity will be evident.

So thanks to all who have helped me on this one.

100% correct! It's easy to forget the distributor end of things, but in effect the spark needs to be working properly at both ends of the plug lead! If the spark ain't even reaching the spark plug, no matter how many pins the plug does or doesn't have, it won't, well - spark! Petrol is far more forgiving of poor ignition than is LPG.

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post: