View Single Post
Old Sep 17th, 2016, 16:18   #3
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

The recommended change interval for phase 1 V40's is 100K miles, but it does not list a change interval for the phase 2 cars, so I presume you are just expected to wait until the box fails.

I would not take any chances and use either the real McCoy Volvo oil from Rufe (FRF Swansea Volvo phone dealer with C3 forum discount is cheaper than Skandix or most local stealerships), or Liqui Moly box oil. Make sure you get the right GL cat and just to confuse things LM make a GL 3 plus which is good for both 3 and 4 applications. Newer GL specs like GL 5 can cause a long term corrosion risk in older gearboxes that used some yellow metal shell bearings that had a type of alloy containing Copper (I think it's like Bronze).

All phase 1 cars should use 75w80, but there was a choice listed for phase 2 by LM of 75w80 or 75w90 and the latter is supposed to be better for hot towing or big booted drivers looking for a speeding ticket.

For some odd reason the web site oil guides list the capacity as over 3 liters when most boxes only seem to need 2 before they overflow from the fill point.
They also list the change interval as 105,000 km, which is about the same as the main cam belt service interval.

PS: I've just checked the LM web site oil adviser page and they only list 75w80 GL 3+ for all V40 models and have corrected the capacity to 2.2 liters. My box overflowed at exactly 2 liters.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)

Last edited by skyship007; Sep 17th, 2016 at 16:30.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skyship007 For This Useful Post: