View Single Post
Old Nov 2nd, 2018, 21:24   #8
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haymitch View Post
New spark plugs were put in by a garage a few days ago, but I don't know what brand they were I'm afraid. I'll have a look.

I think you might have mentioned the meths to someone else laird I currently have well over half a tank left - why do you need to make sure that the tank is 1/4 or below?
It's all to do with the concentration of the meths, needs to be about 10% for best results. When there's about 1/4 tank left, that would in theory be 3 1/4 gallons. As there's usually about 1/2 - 1 gallon left when the gauge actually reads empty, 1/4 tank on the gauge is about 3 1/2 - 4 gallons.

Converting 4 gallons to litres works out at 18L so adding 2L of meths gives 2L in a total of 20L so is 10% concentration.

If it is condensation in the tank, since it's turned cold will make it worse as the condesnsation will form easier.

I might be wrong but from your description it sounds as if you have condensation in the tank. It settles overnight causing a poor cold start because the fuel pump is pulling the water from the bottom of the tank.

Once it's warmed up and has been moving, that condensation has not only been sloshed round the tank but the fuel returning from the engine that hasn't been used causes a swirl effect in the bottom of the tank where the pick up is for the pump.

This is a baffled area to minimise fuel starvation under cornering, acceleration, braking etc but also the lowest point of the tank on a flat road.

For the cost of 2L of meths from Toolstation (about £6), it's a cheap and easy thing to try. If it doesn't make any difference, it will remove any condensation that is starting to build preventing a future problem for a while in any case.
Also eliminates condensation as being the cause of the problem.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote