View Single Post
Old Jan 12th, 2019, 17:14   #554
Army
marches on his stomach

Default Despite having had great fun...

...translating Swedish wiring diagrams into English with the help of google translate

{
Indicator relay some how got confused with "flashing lights for sausages"!
}

I got distracted and found the differential cage calling my name today. Behind the scenes there's been a fair amount of cocking about going on trying to get the correct parts. The side gears into which the axle shafts fit were showing signs of falling to bits =>

If you look closely there's signs of nasty gashes or cuts or scrapes which is the running surface slowly starting to peel / wear away from cogs. I found replacements via the VkV club here in Holland. VP and others couldn't supply them any more.

I also got new shims that fit under these "side" cogs - I call them side cogs because they stay on their sides as the axle shafts fit in them - strangely they came "warped" =>

I haven't seen warped shims like this before but I'm pretty sure they are meant to be like this - they are adding a bit of friction force which is what a limited slip differential would be doing. Note: this isn't a limited slip differential - it is what is called an open differential - but most differentials (that I've fixed up at least) often have a specification for how tight these cogs should mesh. (I can't find the specification for this differential however)

So anyway the new shims have been fitted - took a bit of fiddling about to get them in there however as the warped shims needed to be compressed to get the satellite "non driving" cogs in position.

As you can see I used some large washers, nuts and bolts to help hold the sides cogs in position

Refitting the pin that holds the satellite cogs in position with in the differential cage =>

Making sure the hole for the spring pin is correctly orientated.

Note - I left the spring pin in position when I took the differential cogs out of the cage. These spring pins are easy to damage when fitting - if they haven't been mashed up on disassembly it is best to leave them half in place. Careful tapping with a "just the right size" punch is necessary

Fitting the crown wheel:-

Note I left a big splodge of spray filler (I think it was / is spray filler anyway) to mark the position of the crown wheel on the cage. This can be wiped off with thinner before refitting.

Always best to take your time fitting crown wheels - they do need to fit properly against the differential cage. There are "wobble" tolerances to consider! (See book)

It is best practice to replace the bolts that hold the crown wheel in place - I'm just going to Loctite mine in place once I'm sure the crown wheel is in a good position - but that needs to be done later...

...next I need to find those bearings I bought and start to make some measurements...
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!

Last edited by Army; Jan 12th, 2019 at 17:20. Reason: Spelling
Army is offline   Reply With Quote