Thread: Wide Steelies
View Single Post
Old Jul 3rd, 2017, 12:38   #2
Faust
Master Member

I’ve got a set of the Brookhouse 5.5 steels on my car fitted with 195/65/15 tyres.

Steering weight: as I’ve got a 14 inch Moto Lita steering wheel fitted (fair bit smaller than stock) there is a bit more effort needed at low speeds (parking etc.) but it’s never been a problem for me or my missus who occasionally drives my Amazon. The extra effort is worth it for the improved road holding in my opinion.

Manufacture: there were issues a few years back with cheap steel wheels… specifically with hubcaps not fitting well. Not had any problems myself, but I did splash out for some polished stainless hubcaps when I bought the wheels. You’d be better off talking to Simon at Brookhouse for advice on this one (he’s a top chap and will be happy to advise). If you order from Nordicar/Skandix/VP or similar, make sure the rims are TUV compliant and you should be reassured for quality purposes (TUV is the German equivalent of an MOT: I’ve read that the standards are somewhat higher than the ones applied to an MOT in the UK).

I’ve got Falken AS200 all season tyres fitted – they are not that ‘modern’ in appearance. Have a google if this is important to you and find something you like. I appreciate what you say about modern directional tyres on classics, but consider this: is it better to have a tyres fitted that may well save you from an accident and damaging your beloved car (or worse you and any passengers) and accept that the ‘look’ of your car may be slightly compromised?

Seems like a good pay off to me!
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Faust For This Useful Post: