View Single Post
Old May 13th, 2023, 10:38   #7
RDesign4Life
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V70uk View Post
Hi, I read this post and then proceeded to my Volvo garage and asked them if I could purchase a dipstick dipstick holder for rings and bolts to convert this into a full-size dipstick, but since fitting it it reads the wrong amount of oil as this states 6.9L to full rather than 5.9L.

Has anyone else had this problem when adding a police dipstick to their D5?

I have a P3 V70 D5 2012 215bhp
Think about what you are saying dude. The dipstick on the car cannot actually read. Therefore it cannot read the wrong amount can it? What YOU may be reading/interpreting incorrectly is the relationship between level shown against scale/markings on the dipstick and actual amount of oil in the engine. It's simply a matter of correlation between volume of oil and the wetted level against the markings. The electronic indicator and the physical dipstick are never likely to be perfectly calibrated/aligned to each other and do not need to be.

On a D5 I believe around 2 to 2.5 of the 'X' units along the etched |XXXX| markings equates to 5.8-5.9l of oil. If you fill until all marks are wet then you will have overfilled by 0.5-1.0 litres I reckon.

Last edited by RDesign4Life; May 13th, 2023 at 10:42.
RDesign4Life is offline   Reply With Quote