View Single Post
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 20:47   #1
yoda960
Volvo 960

Default Coolant loss? Changing heater control valve tricky? 940

Hi guys,

Recently bought a 1994 940 without aircon, and discovered the drivers footwell is soggy with coolant When I bought the car I noticed the coolant was low, but didn't think anything of it stupidly, there were no visible signs of headgasket gone, and footwells seemed ok - I thought the drivers footwell was just rainwater from feet because we went to see it when it was pouring down with rain. The heaters worked fine too.

At first I thought it was the heater matrix, but it seems as if only the drivers side is wet. I thought I could feel a tiny bit of damp at the passenger side too but my mind might just be playing tricks on me.

It is certainly crusty around the heater control valve, but when I left the car running for a good 45 mins with the heating on turning it up and down a couple of times I could see no drip or feel anything from that area Does it only come out after long journeys? (in fact that is probably a daft question - guess it depends on how knackered it is!)

Anyway I have found a bosch replacement on euro car parts for £30ish so I will start by doing that. Is it a tricky job guys? I read that it is awkward and it is best to remove the clutch pedal, anyone know how to do this? I couldn't find a guide for the replacement of the valve either so if anyone has any tips that would be brill.

I'm particularly concerned about how to plug the hose that comes through the firewall back into the new valve...

If the matrix was leaking too, would both footwells definately be soggy? Anyone make anything of the pics?

Many thanks in advance chaps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1860.JPG (215.8 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1861.JPG (219.4 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1864.JPG (183.8 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1866.JPG (183.2 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1867.JPG (144.9 KB, 56 views)
yoda960 is online now   Reply With Quote