View Single Post
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 23:13   #3
Sonolta

Thumbs up As a blue badge holder, I have an interest in this thread

I've had a blue badge for over 10 years to date, some of the main aspects of being a blue badge holder is being able to use the appropriate parking spaces (trust me when I say how totally angry you can get when non blue badge drivers use the designated parking spaces without any consideration for those of us who are entitled to use them). Furthermore, for UK disabled drivers, you can park on double yellow lines for up to 3 hours (I strongly advise anyone who hasn't already got these to get both the rear window blue badge wheelchair sticker (removable) and the dashboard clock card which you display with the blue badge itself. Make sure you don't cause any obstruction if parking on double yellow lines.

The free vehicle tax is available to those who are in receipt of certain benefits such as the higher rate of the old DLA, current PIP or Mobility Supplement if you're a *War Pensioner (*as I am), but you can also be entitled to the free road tax if you have more than one of the eligible benefits (as I was and will be again very soon) for both the War Pensioners Mobility Supplement and higher rate DLA.

I bought my car privately and the V5C was in the 'normal' tax category, but when we concluded the transaction at my home, they went to the direct.gov website and changed the vehicle ownership into my name/address and that also meant that any residual road tax was refunded to them. About 4 or 5 days later, I received the V5C in my name. When I went to the Post Office to tax the car, as the V5C was already in my name, there was no need to complete the form about changing from PLG to the Disabled tax class though you'll need to present them with the appropriate documentation that shows your entitlement at which point you'll have your car taxed and no need to send or complete other forms or paperwork. You'll get another V5C from the DVLA which will then show the car as being in the Disabled tax category, and unless anyone does their tax renewal manually, it takes less than 2 minutes to renew online and no need to queue up at the P.O. with reams of paperwork.

I don't pretend to know in any detail about such things, but it's from my own experience that I'm imparting this info others may find useful. This URL is one of many that anyone reading may find of use in addition to the direct.gov website.

If this is of use to other forum members then that's great, but at least you have a starting point to work from.
Sonolta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sonolta For This Useful Post: