View Single Post
Old Jun 27th, 2010, 14:01   #8
woodman
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Kwas View Post
Derek;

You are right of course...I believe that is just remaining evidence, that the pivot bolt was threaded where it went through the housing and vibrated against the inside wall cutting its threads into it...if I look carefully at the threads, the threads look like they are not even in-line with the alt armature...just more evidence of shoddy design and workmanship...the person who did that should maybe stick to video games!

dgbalfour; Cracked housings are inevitably a result of vibration which occurs with sloppy mounting...even with an unmolested housing this can occur...alternators are meant to be pivoted in order to tension belt, the LOCKED in place...at the pivot and tensioning bar...if there is relative movement of any kind, something WILL eventually fatigue and break as a result...

Cheers
Ron - please use my photo as you wish!

Yep, neither the saw cut nor the threaded hole are true to the armature. Bloody hell!

I'm thinking the best use of the old alt is to see if someone wants its innards to recon an equivalent unit. I'll be happier (if poorer) with a new 55amp one with a built-in regulator.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and for letting me let off steam about crap workmanship!

2002 Audi TT quattro. (Sorry!)
woodman is offline   Reply With Quote