View Single Post
Old Oct 15th, 2018, 00:21   #12723
canis
Non Fragile

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkey1984 View Post
The driver's side top mount swap could have gone better, couldn't get the drop link to come off, got it about three quarters of the way undone and then it wouldn't go any further, the Allen headed stupidity rung off as you'd expect
They're a bloody nightmare, aren't they! You've just described exactly my experience the other day. I found the nylon begun to work it's way inside the nut, making the job even more frustrating, a few threads from home. This caused me to go into a personal tirade of disgusting words, childish tantrums and a profane moan about lock nuts and "our grandparents knew how to lock two nuts together" and "the old ways were better" and other nonsense.

In the end I had to bulldoze a pair of mole grips into the gaiter, which was a shame as they were in very good order. Fortunately I had a spare pair (thanks Antz!) so I didn't care too much, but as someone who tries to preserve rather than replace wherever possible, it was a bitter pill to swallow.

I did once see a design which had room for a spanner between the gaiter and the leg. That makes much more sense and I wish I could find somelike that now. The allen key things are just absolutely useless.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote