View Single Post
Old Feb 26th, 2020, 09:30   #20
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalledvolvos90 View Post
So just another quick question. I do notice my coolant level will drop, sometimes especially lately when I open the cap coolant rushes back in. Trying to figure if my leak is still there. I know I went against the advice regarding the stop leak but I need to buy some time before I pay for a new head gasket.
Sounds almost as if you have an air lock or another possibility i'll come to in a moment.

If it's an air lock, if you park facing uphill (even just slightly will help) for the next few times of using it, it will help the air lock to move to the highest point which will be the coolant expansion tank. You can then check the level cold the next mornign and top up if necessary.

The other possibility is the water pump has a leak on the suction side. This won't leak coolant out but air in. It will generate air locks which will cause excess pressure and blow coolant out of the expansion tank cap.
If this is the case, it's highly unlikely that the sealant will work as it needs to be forced into the leak to seal it - if the leak is incoming, it will force the sealant away from the leak.

Do you have any idea when the timing belt, tensioner and water pump were last changed? Also if it was before the pay-up period the car had, it would be a good idea to do them anyway.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote