View Single Post
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 20:30   #7
ksmi
Master Member

Cool J A P Engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
I had pondered upon your signature, Keith, but thought it was something Volvo related (which it is in a way) of which I was unaware.

Yes, I knew about JAP engines and their use by many different manufacturers, not least Brough, but not their technicalities; its true that you learn something new every day! Yes, please do add me to your Friends list if you wish.

Regards, John.
Yes you'v got it John, She is an estate,so looks longer than a saloon,even if she is not. + 5 cylinders'. I did think of vin blanc but Volvos do not come from France,so I am told
J A Prestwich were in Tottenham, they were the only engine for speedway and grasstrack for years. They were mostly short fours,there was quite a black market trade in jap parts,don't tell anyone. sometimes in engineering,simplicity is a thing of beauty,do you think? total loss lubrication via a pilgrim pump,but with magnesium crank cases, steel push rods and an alloy con.rod. OHV only two valves. but for what they were used for,they flew! Alf Hagon, who I worked with for a time and was also a friend,said the basis of a good engine was a good set of flywheels. the demise of the JAP Engine was when the parts supply ran out,long after the factory had closed.
If you google J A Prestwich,you will find some mouth watering pictures

Thanks for listening to me waffling on John,Regards,Keith.