View Single Post
Old Jun 28th, 2013, 23:30   #1
random_noise
VOC Member

Default Project Thread - 1966 Amazon 121

I guess it's time I start logging some of the work I'm putting in to my Amazon.

I'm pretty bad for forgetting to take any pics before I start things, but hopefully I'll get better.

The specs of my car are:

1966 Amazon 121 - 4 door, B18A single carb with M40 box.

Here she is:

Lovely picture of some bins

My first job was to replace the seat belts. Didn't like the fixed length ones & they didn't meet the WAF so they definitely had to go.

Not too keen on the anchor point bracket, but it is secure enough. Will change it to a better looking bracket in future.

I also fixed the horn which wasn't working (but forgot to take any photos). Problem was completely blackened rings, separated by a bit of foam which wasn't up to much. A polish up of the rings & some new foam got it up & running, although I think I might take Ron Kwas's suggestion of putting a relay in there once I've got the electrics in a better state.

Read online about polishing up chrome using water & some aluminium foil & there were a few wee bits which just annoyed me so gave it a try.

Right hand side before:

And after:

Quite a difference! Will give the bumpers a shine up tomorrow I think!

Until my mechanic mate gets his garage finished or I can get one rented in my area I'm not going to be able tackle anything too major mechanically. Got an order through from Brookhouse today with my next couple of projects though. 1st off I need to sort this situation:

Some grotty wood!

So that's what it was hiding!

Started to put the new webbing on, but have decided that the seat frame could do with a respray 1st, so wood went back on for now.

I've also been playing about with a spare instrument panel I have. As the grey paint on it was flaking off, I thought it would be nice to strip it back & paint it up.
It's turned in to one of these jobs you wish you didnt start.

Yesterday after picking off the worst of the flaky bits & a brief go at with a dremmel.

About another hour of solid dremmeling. I think breathing the paint dust started to make me go a bit loopy.

Once I get it finished I'm going to spray paint it & will put it in later when I take the dash apart.

Well, this post turned in to a monster so will save my adventures in electrics for another day

Dave
random_noise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to random_noise For This Useful Post: