View Single Post
Old Nov 6th, 2017, 22:25   #5
v8250

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishandgerman View Post
Oh I love the really old version! That one looks absolutely fantastic, especially being a 2-door.

I have to say this - in my view there is sod all benefit of switching from a single to twin carbs without going to whole effort of changing to the appropriate cam and correct distributor. Sorry about that and I hope you don't think I'm being uncouth by chipping in here.

The full benefit of twins comes in at high rpm and full throttle opening. That's achieved with the appropriate cam for the carbs. The a cam just doesn't and I experimented with twins on an a-cam and the only difference was the massive increase in fuel consumption. I changed back. Twin SU's + proper cam + distributor is a whole different story.

It's just a personal thing, but I love the drive of the single carb cars with the super smooth delivery of low end torque. I don't drive particularly fast.

In my view, an excellent upgrade on that old car is a simple conversion to a single Stromberg - not the later version with the slider thingamer - with a twin downpipe. They are easy to set up, trouble free and super smooth. I expect a massive saving compared to a pair of twins +manifold etc and will save you a whole lot in not having to swam cam, distributor and so on which is a costly project.
Thanks S&G, this is really good input. My problem is that I have a big LOVE for SU's. Have used them for years and know how to set them up correctly to not suffer increase fuel consumption, nor loss of torque. Understand the cam + distributor note too...I'll be keeping the std a-cam but will be rebuilding and tweaking the distributor/ignition.
v8250 is offline   Reply With Quote