Thread: 760gle breaking
View Single Post
Old Apr 29th, 2019, 19:48   #36
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwdkev View Post
The early 604, R30, R25 mk1 and Talbot Tagora used the 2.7 version as well as the Volvo 260 mk1. And the even-fire 2.8 in the later 760 mk1 & mk2 as well as 505, Lancia Thema and R25 mk2 as we've already said would be no good as the cylinder block casting is different. That leaves late 604 (not sure if this was available in UK), 260 mk2 and early 760 mk1 with the odd-fire 2.8.

But all of these cars are incredibly rare now. I think your best bet is a 760 82-85 beaker.
I forgot the "Solara on steroids" aka the Tagora. I didn't mention the Lancia Thema as it was transverse and i couldn't remember what mods they did to make it work sideways. My boss had one and tried telling me it was the 8.32 (Ferrari engine) so i nodded my head and smiled and thought of the salesman who sold him a V6 by telling him it was a Ferrari V8!

As for the 604, i'm fairly sure it was available up to about 1982 in the UK with the V6, as was the 505 STi i'm fairly sure.
Also got a funny feeling the R25 used a smaller version of it, about 2.5 litre similar to the Alpine A610 turbo - might be slightly wrong on some of these, was a long time ago when i last needed to know these things!
Whether any of those options would be suitable for the odd-fire 1982 on engine, i'm not sure.
Just had a look on WIkipedia and it quotes a figure of just 17 604s left in the UK in 2014 so that probably isn't an option.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote