View Single Post
Old Nov 22nd, 2018, 17:54   #4
RIDDLER55
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Kwas View Post
R55;

Welcome to this forum!

First question(s) must always be: Has any work recently been done, especially on the system exhibiting issues, and if so, what what it.

If none, symptoms you are describing could be ignition or fuel supply, but more likely ignition, particularly because of action of the Rev Counter just prior to complete loss of function. [Point of info: Rev counter monitors Ign Coil primary current, which Points (should) break relatively cleanly because of the quenching action of the Condensor.] ...but Condensors available in recent years, even Bosch labeled, have been less than reliable...no, worse than that: Horrendous!...and a failing Condensor allowing the primary current to break noisily would manifest itself as multiple hits in the Primary current, which in turn would be interpreted as a high RPM and indicated as such. I believe this would explain the symptoms and cause, but component replacement will confirm this.

I recommend you replace the Ign Condensor with new, Bosch labeled one (probably still the best available), replace nothing else(!) and seeing if symptoms remain. Please be acutely aware of the centering of Pointsbolt. See also: http://www.sw-em.com/Volvo%20Ignitio...ition%20System

Yes, the ignition coil is failing to provide a spark, but not because it has failed, symptoms are a result, not a cause.

Good Hunting!
Thank you very much for your suggestions. However, I now think the problem may be solved (fingers crossed).
My mechanic was certain the problem related to ignition. So what he has done is bypass the ignition switch on the dashboard and replaced it with a direct feed (fused) via a small toggle switch.
Now when I turn the key, the dashboard lights up and if I turn the key a bit further it will crank the engine, but the engine will not start until I flick the switch.
This has bypassed the ignition switch behind the ignition key barrel which he believed had a fault on it and which Brookhouse Parts tell me is no longer available.
So far today I have driven the car without any problems. I am hoping this has therefore solved the problem – and gives me the extra benefit of a hidden cutout switch which adds extra security to the vehicle, so I am very pleased with the result.
I am planning a longer journey tomorrow in it so hopefully I won’t have any problems. Thank you again for your help.

Last edited by RIDDLER55; Nov 22nd, 2018 at 17:56.
RIDDLER55 is offline   Reply With Quote