Thread: General: 70: - lower emissions
View Single Post
Old Jan 18th, 2020, 21:32   #17
ITSv40
VOC Member

Jack,

I would say your cat is the problem.

I had a '97 V40 2.0lt petrol bought at about 50,000mls and regularly serviced with no emissions issues. It got to about 300,000mls and went for its mot and the tester tried and tried to get it within limits. He revved and revved it and I stood there listening to the pistons screaming in the cylinders - the block must have been white hot - eventually it passed and I got the certificate.

I then thought, 'I'm not having that another year and bought a pattern cat. Next mot it just about passed without too much revving, but still not entirely happy. I then found a second hand genuine Volvo cat and fitted that - next mot and subsequent ones passed with flying colours. tester said 'I don't know why folks bother with cheap pattern cats as they are never any good' In all this time the servicing regime did not alter - just the cat being changed.

My current V40 is standard and passes without any issues and every year the tester says ' the emissions are quite remarkable' and as I said previously the C70 barely registers on the scale.

I'm not knocking your additive treatment, but do genuinely think it is masking underlying issues.

Last edited by ITSv40; Jan 18th, 2020 at 21:35.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post: