View Single Post
Old Apr 7th, 2019, 10:54   #3
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

I'm thinking without the magic ingredients, an LPG tank isn't all that dangerous anyway? Run with me a mo'

The main issue with CNG is that it can be wet. Hence after 10-15 years, you've a pint of water swilling in an outwardly mint looking cylinder. Also CNG tanks tend to get mounted in the salt-spray, and come caked in mud. All this conducive to decay, and I understand steel and most polymers lose their ductility with age. And we're at 3000psi. Oops.

Before anybody leaps to conclusions, I'm not recommending this: Surely Shirley, any salt-sprayed LPG tank is going to 'let-go' gradually, so it's not quite the hazard the alarmists would have us believe.

OK, don't smoke, and don't have it parked in an enclosed space at the time, but an externally mounted LPG tank, sitting in a driveway isn't all that dangerous. Without ignition, it's not 3000psi, it's 150psi ish. A can of furniture polish/brake-cleaner/lighter fluid/ WD40/whipped-cream has about that in it. You've got those in your garage/kitchen now.

The only real issue is that LPG/butane/propane etc is heavier that air so without a breeze, sits about. Methane floats up.

- WITH THE ABOVE CAVEATS - You won't smoke, sit in an enclosed space....
As long as we're thinking, it's not something to get in a 'tizz' about. Even if we wanted it to be dangerous, it can't be. I'm guessing you've seen your fair share of tired LPG tanks. By the time you get ot see them, they've near vented anyway. Am i wrong?

And does LPG come wet?

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Apr 7th, 2019 at 11:37.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote