Thread: 740 16v forsale
View Single Post
Old Dec 31st, 2014, 08:36   #12
heyskull
Heyskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkster1971 View Post
If you actually read what I posted, you turn the pulley on a breaker bar slowly and if any resistance is felt you know then if the valves are bent and therefore can't retract. How do you replace the timing belt without timing it up by moving the cam sprockets and pulley?
I asked him to turn it over by hand to see if it was knackered but he gave me some bull sh@t story about another 8v car he had which had done 400k and said he turned down an offer for £350 for banger racing.
On this post their is no post showing what you have posted!

As for timing it up, you have to remove the camshafts, so all the valves are in the closed position (yes it is a ball ache). Then you can turn the engine by hand to see if it spins freely.
If it spins refit the cams a new belt and other parts and then maybe it might work.

Yes I agree about the bull s**t story of turning down £350 to banger race it.
Most banger racers are looking for a car with a running engine and no banger racer in their right mind would touch a car with such a fragile engine as what the volvo redblock 16v was/is.

Yes the 8v redblocks can do amazing miles but I bet their are very few 16v with over 200,000 miles at least ones that have never had major head work.

SC
heyskull is offline   Reply With Quote