Thread: TD-603 Audio
View Single Post
Old Jun 24th, 2021, 15:56   #6
Jungle_Jim
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock64 View Post
Hi Jim. I wish I could do all that; most impressive! I do have a car audio repair place localish to me who said the problem may be getting the parts. Would the caps, etc be unit specific or common to many audio units? I'm in the vacinity of this repair place tomorrow and could pop the unit in if the parts you're talking about are fairly widely available.
Shamrock
The TD-603 is mostly old-school enough that it's got some 'integrated circuits' - multi-pin chips - but a lot of the parts are good old caps and resistors etc which are easily bought. The few chips it's got - eg pre-amp, radio controller - I think they were all listed as still available and relatively cheap and common. The only chip which might be hard to replace is the one which seems to be about the security code and the radio display. I wasn't reusing the cassette mechanism, so I can't say whether it's got hard-to-replace parts - but likely that's just about belts or adjustments etc. On the other hand - all those solder connections opens the door to dry or poor solder joints which can take time to trace, but don't involve new parts.

My point is - contrast this with: if we were talking about a newish stereo, a lot of the circuitry would be on specific multi-pin integrated chips which could be hard to troubleshoot, expensive to source, which effectively makes a lot of that sort of stuff unrepairable once the gremlins creep in.

IMO I don't think sourcing replacement components would be a problem (unless it's that security chip on the underside of the board).

Before you take it to the shop, it'd be worthwhile opening up the lid, and unscrewing and unplugging and lifting the cassette mechanism out, and having a look at the main board. As I said previously - you'd be looking for bulging or leaking caps, or any other component which is burnt or broken, or even objects which have got in. So often there are visual indicators of what's failed. And - drop the bottom lid off, and look for broken or corroded solder joints.

John
Jungle_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jungle_Jim For This Useful Post: