Thread: TD-603 Audio
View Single Post
Old Jun 25th, 2021, 07:15   #9
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock64 View Post
Hi Jim. I wish I could do all that; most impressive! I do have a car audio repair place localish to me who said the problem may be getting the parts. Would the caps, etc be unit specific or common to many audio units? I'm in the vacinity of this repair place tomorrow and could pop the unit in if the parts you're talking about are fairly widely available.
The sort of electronic bits that John was talking about are widely available Shamrock. I normally buy them on eBay or similar (a 2200uf electrolytic capacitor will cost about a pound). Old fashioned (by which I mean 40 year old style) electronics is quite satisfying - if you can't get the TYS boy in your local electronics shop to have a go then you could do worse than acquiring a soldering station, a de-soldering syringe and a multimeter that can test capacitors and diodes - and having a go.

There is no real cost advantage over new ICE (it is so cheap), but it would be satisfying to keep your period unit - rather that something new and garish (as John points out above). That is the same as running a 40 year old 244 compared with a modern car - but anyone reading this will understand that isn't the point.

Last edited by Othen; Jun 25th, 2021 at 10:10.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: