View Single Post
Old Aug 6th, 2021, 19:39   #57
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Lifted from a thread on this...
Playing the exhaust game.
The stock system seems to last forever. Stock is quieter too. The factory item on mine is twin-box. Silencer + resonator. The after-market systems I've seen are made of brandy-snaps - Xmas 1987. The 'Walker' brand I had was single-box, noisier, and didn't last two years. This seems par for the course.

Might be the way I use them, but none of my factory systems have ever failed, 'on their own'. Unfair to their quality, mine always meet their end when reversed into low steps/kerbs etc.

If you can, do as I did, I got lucky and found a decent 'used' stock item in a breaker's yard.

My tip:
Water kills them. At the low points, drill 2-3 tiny drain holes, more so if yours doesn't see a chance to be properly hot. Else, and it's not even the money, changing them is a pain.

A poor fit
Many don't fit well, but when new can be shoehorned in. Fine when new, they'll tolerate the stress. As they age, the vibration and stress sees them fail far quicker, and at the box-pipe-joint. Just where a repair can't be. Check the fit for 'float' now.

Don't dismiss your local hand-build zhorst centre.
They won't be much dearer than a top-end system, but.... using heavy-gauge S/S to save on labour, [easier/quicker to fabricate/weld, see] that stuff will outlast you. If like me, you own a 'keeper' or a classic you use lots, this is the way to go.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Aug 6th, 2021 at 20:08.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CNGBiFuel For This Useful Post: