View Single Post
Old Jun 13th, 2021, 03:03   #69
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeandkira View Post
Excerpted from above: "...if you don't need a full tank because you're only doing local trips, you're carrying around all that extra weight of fuel which is less economical. "

True, but I like having a full tank so there's less air space for atmospheric moisture. The purge cycles of the EVAP system draw in air from the outside.

My long trips are less than 1/2 tank away. I let it go down during the outing but make sure it's full when I park it once home. This goes double when rain is predicted.

Hey, if my aversion to moisture in a fuel system is a throwback to steel tanks (which my '07 has) or is insignificant due to the alcohol in our petrol (alcohol attaches to water molecules and passes it with the petrol) then the joke's on me.
Not so sure about atmospheric moisture (humidity) myself, more likely to be condensation due to temp differences.

I cannot remember the last time i filled a full tank, damn, that was a straight up lie, i filled 3 jerry cans end of last autumn, a kind of tanks i suppose, then i brimmed th mower tank a few times but then i spose we are talking vehicle tanks so back to those, nope, still cannot remember the last time i filled to the top, there was my old K4 GSXR 1000, i used to brim that, that was back in 2004, i am trying to figure out if i went up to see my mum before she passed before or after then, ah hold on, i took my 1st ever dog up to see her, that was 2012 as he was about 6-8 months, so there ya have it, last time was 2012. and in all my years of driving, never had an issue with water and fuel, i rarely fill to the top, i work on the weight idea myself.

When i used to have my T5's, i could tell when i had someone else in the car with me, well, namely my mate that was about 14st, the power was lower, 100% straight up, i could tell, and if the power is lower, it means its using more fuel too, so over time that extra 1/4 to 1/2 a tank is deffo gonna cost you and theres no reason to do so re moisture. If its just to keep a full tank in case of, thats different in spose, depends how often that "case of" happens...

Well, thats me rambling on a bit, carry on.....