Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Jul 10th, 2023, 22:16   #4082
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
I think that if we wish to take this discussion to a deeper level, 'L.S.', then, in fairness to everyone, it should also be in its own right in a separate thread. Happy for that to happen if there's a desire to do so.

If I may correct you on one thing, the days of one vicar, one parish, are long gone.

The Diocese sold off the Victorian vicarage in our village, in a dilapidated state, over 20 years ago. It is presently on the market (restored - but, to me, not particularly tastefully) for a cool £2M!

We are in an interregnum, with little prospect of a new incumbent being appointed, and, currently, have only the equivalent of one half of a vicar looking after a benefice of six parishes. In that, we are not untypical.

Many priests are also self-funding (i.e. have another (paid) job), what used to be known as NSMs, or Non-stipendary Ministers. Many, too, live in houses not unlike yours or mine, often as a 'house for duty', in lieu of a stipend, or salary.

I know people say the church is asset rich, but assets don't pay the bills, and can only be sold the once, often sacrificing rental income. Our Diocese, which is not alone, is predicting a £2M shortfall in the next FY.

The church, like most people, is feeling the pinch, and further, more Draconian, economies are expected in the near future. There is little point in crying over spilt milk, but it does make things difficult at a parochial level.

People, with some justification, say that the church is always asking for money. That is not the impression that most of us involved with it at a parish level would wish to give.

Regards, John.
I was trying to make a comparison between old buildings (in general but particularly religious buildings) and old cars John, the merits of keeping them as original as possible against the practicalities of using more modern materials/methods to prolong their lives and questioning the authority of whoever says "you must repair it with the original materials" as to whether it is right, wrong or misguided or should be taken on an individual basis.

It seems i may have inadvertently detonated a metaphorical minefield on religion, that was certainly not my intention and apologies for any confusion!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: