View Single Post
Old Jun 21st, 2018, 14:54   #44
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
Not sure why you are talking about 240 stuff here...
Only because it does get done and is potentially a cheaper solution which gives a stronger end product

Quote:

2. Not difficult. Small mods to current cross-member maybe.

Unfortunately because of step #1 - widening the tunnel - the PV cross member will not fit. It also needs to further back because of the added length of the OD

Quote:
4. True but what you have should match unless you have a box/ J OD from a 140.
I'm pretty sure the output flange is bigger than the PV one

Quote:
5.Totally untrue unless you want to use a 240 gearbox and engine and use it upright. Cam oiling maybe an issue if you do. Take this issue out of the equation.
Totally true! If you mount the 240 gearbox on the B18/B20 bell housing the whole gearbox is twisted to one side - the gear lever will no longer poke out upright!

Quote:

7. OD with 4.10 is good. Much better and quieter cruising. It will drive the same as a 4 speed and you will then have the benefit of the OD. In flat Holland you will be able to use the OD as a normal 5th gear. PV is a bit lighter than an Amazon and it works fine in one of those. I've had one and I'd be happy to have a 4.10 in my Amazon Estate instead of the 4.56.

I've never driven one with an OD and 4.10 final drive ratio but by my calculations the OD will struggle. I've read somewhere that even PVs will reach a higher top speed under certain circumstances in 4th with OD disengaged.

Quote:

8. Gear lever doesn't change at all. As above, the top plate does need to have the lockout switch fitted. Some M40 lids come with a brass plug. Remove and fit switch.
I can assure that the gear shifter is in a totally different place on my 240 gearbox - it would come up between the front seats rather than just under the dashboard.

Quote:
Are you saying you got a 240 gearbox? They maybe cheaper but makes for an expensive conversion. Stick to Amazon and PV parts.
In Holland the D type OD and gearbox combo is usually priced between 800 and 1500 euros - I bought a beefier gearbox and overdrive for 100ish euros just to see what would need to be done

Approximately 10% of the PV gearbox and overdrive equivalent.

Anyway for me - you don't need to worry about this - as stated earlier I'm not going to try and fit this 240 gearbox I have. Not worth the hassle.
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote