Thread: ECU Remapping?
View Single Post
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 14:02   #17
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistar McKinlay View Post
I too am a big fan of remaps having had it done on previous (non) Volvo cars.

The thing is when I bought my 2008 V50 2.0D secondhand it had a Diesel Tuning Box fitted to it, which I could have removed if I wanted to. Anyway I asked in the local tuning shop about a remap and was told that as the car has a 'Siemens' ECU (and apparently a Citroen engine ?) it couldn't be remapped as the ECU can't be remapped. I didn't argue as I'm afraid I'm not very Technically minded.

I think the tuning box can either be switched off all together or set to Low/Medium/High as required. They recommend to leave it on Medium.

I have to say that, although I would rather have it remapped, the difference between having it switched off and set to Medium is like night and day. With it set at Medium the car is so much more responsive through all gears, overtaking in 6th is an absolute doddle. I have had it turned to High a few times and it is a different animal altogether. I think I will stick with it just now.

Is it the case that my car does have a Citroen engine ?

It is a EuroIV version, therefore no DPF fitted thankfully.
Technically speaking it is a PSA (Pug/Citroen) developed engine funded by Ford. Which means it found it's way into Fords, Volvos, Citroens, Pugs, i think that is it - if we are being really really picky a pug engine code at the start of it's life.

I personally would avoid tuning boxes as a whole, the ECU on these can be remapped even on a rolling road so that is a load of tosh - RICA and a few other definitely do remapping for them.

Euro IV can have a DPF, but not mandatory like Euro V, however many of the 2.0D's of Euro III and IV do not.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote